Depression Test from www.IWantToChangeMyLife.org
Answer the following 10 yes or no questions. Most questions have more than one part, because everyone feels their depression differently. You only need to answer yes to one part for that question to count.
1. Depressed mood. Do you feel sad, down, or depressed most of the time? Do you feel that the color has drained out of your life? Do you cry more easily? Do you have crying spells for no apparent reason?
2. Loss of interest. Have you lost interest in things that used to give you enjoyment? Have you stopped doing some things that were part of your regular routine? Are you more socially withdrawn?
3. Low energy. Is your energy lower? Do you feel more easily fatigued or sluggish? Is it hard to get going in the morning? Is your libido suddenly reduced, or do you have less interest in sex?
4. Anxiety or irritability. Are you more anxious, worried, fearful, irritable, or intolerant?
5. Lower self-confidence. Is your self-confidence or self-esteem lower? Do you feel more hopeless or pessimistic? Do you feel more guilty or worthless?
6. Poor concentration. Is it hard for you to think, concentrate, or make decisions? Do you find it hard to concentrate outside of work? Do you find it harder to read something or to take in what you read?
7. Sleep changes. Do you have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep? On the weekends do you feel like you could sleep all day and don't want to get out of bed? Do you feel that you're not refreshed when you wake up in the morning?
8. Appetite or weight change. Is your appetite either significantly lower or higher than a year ago? Have you unintentionally lost or gained weight? Do you eat only because you have to eat, but don't get any pleasure from food?
9. Slow moving or restless. Are you moving more slowly lately? Is your speech slower lately? Do you feel like you're shuffling when you walk? Are you restless or fidgety? Do you wring your hands more?
10. Dark thoughts. Do you sometimes think it would be easier if you just didn't wake up in the morning? Do you sometimes think it would be easier if you developed a serious illness? Do you wonder if anyone will miss you when you're gone? Do you think you would be better off dead, or your family would be better off if you were gone? Do you have recurrent thoughts of death or suicide (not just a fear of dying)? Do you imagine ways of hurting yourself?
If you answered yes to at least 5 of these questions, then you meet the medical criteria for depression.
No restrictions on the printing of this document. Use with the guidance of a counselor. Consult your physician when making decisions about your health. Source: www.IWantToChangeMyLife.org/printouts/depression-test.pdf. Book: "I Want to Change My Life" by Dr. S. Melemis.